Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Leading of the Holy Spirit (Part 3)



How to Know
                In general, those who are led by the Spirit are moved to examine their hearts and motives.  They are moved to mourn over their sin, to confess it, and to seek God’s face to enable them to be obedient. They are moved to search the Word of God daily to find out God’s desires.  They are moved to an increasing conformity to God’s will. 


Let the Scriptures Speak


Psalm 139:23-24: “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
Romans 8:13-14: “For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.”

Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”


Summary

                In three ways we can know we are being led by God: First, we will be led from ourselves. We are led from confidence in our own wisdom and dependence upon our own strength. Second, we are brought to a deeper relationship with Christ. It is the duty of the Spirit to take the things of Christ and show them to us.  Thirdly, we are led away from the vanities of this world to delight in the Lord! His aim is to conform us more and more to the image of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment