Metaphor: Freedom- Jesus has promised us to make us free from all bondage (John 8:36).
To free us to:
- New Life: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4)
- Freedom to serve: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery," "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love." (Galatians 5:1, 13)
- Eternal life: "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." (John 10:28)
To free us from:
- Sin: "You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness." (Romans 6:18)
- The curse of the law: "So also, when we were underage, we were in slavery under the elemental spiritual forces of the world. But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship." ( Galatians 4:3-5)
- The fear of death:"Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death." (Hebrews 2:14-15)
- Many things bind us: self-interest, addictions, broken relationships, anger and bitterness, destructive pasts, and debts. Sin captures our minds and hearts. Only a miracle can break those bonds.
- Jesus breaks these bonds and gives us new life. This new life gives us the freedom to serve God, to become the people God wants us to be.